If you are a consistent gym-goer, you will have a pretty good idea what is acceptable gym etiquette, and what is behaviour that could make most people there hate you. Lately where I train, there have been a lot of dingbats that need some education in gym etiquette.
I am just sitting down now to rant, calm myself and see what comes out – completely random.
1. Put your weights away! (In the proper place. No the lady on the treadmill is not your mom even though she may have the same hairstyle, and she won’t put them away for you)
2. Wipe Wipe Wipe. (Pretend you smell like onions, which you probably do, and imagine your dream person is going to use the equipment after you. Don’t let them know how stinky you are. Even if there is no sweat, wipe it down.)
3. Unnecessary Noise/Grunts . (There is always someone stronger than you, they are just quieter than you. You don’t have to grunt and groan when lifting warm up weights. I guarantee that 99/100 people think you are a moron, and that one person who thinks you are cool, is you.)
4. Don’t tell me about the girl you are looking at. (I have a Hot, Godly Wife at home, and I don’t need you to tell me there is a girl in tight pants that I should look at. I know they are there, I don’t need to look and Jesus Says that is cheating in my heart.)
5. Girls, don’t show off. (Guys are too weak to try to control themselves, and the less clothes you wear, the more I have to preach to the guys who approach me about rant #4.)
6. Be Patient. (There are a lot of good-willed clueless people out there. They may plant they sweaty arse on your bench, just before you are about to lay back and dumbbell press <this has happened to me>, and when they get up there is a nice line of sweat from their butt crack, right where your head is going to go, but they don’t mean any harm, just say “Oh, excuse me.”)
7. Don’t Fight Over Cardio Equipment! (Follow the rules, stick to the time limit, don’t be selfish, go run outside if it is nice, or go squat instead.)
8. Allow people a way out of a conversation (Lots of people just want to work out. Ask if they are OK to chat, or if they just want to work out. Some people are too polite to tell you to shut your trap.)
9. Don’t pee in the shower! (I’m sure you have seen the Seinfeld episode where George does this… Anyways, don’t do it, save it for the pool, most pools don’t have the dye in the water I have found out. Also on this note, don’t spit or wash your face in the water fountain.)
10. Love your Neighbour as yourself. (The gym will run smooth if this is followed. Forget that, the World would run smooth if this is followed!)
I’ll stop at 10. Feel Free to comment with some of your gym etiquette stories or any added rules!